Saturday, January 15, 2005

Getting serious about blogging

I love blogs. I don't see how I can live my life in our culture without reading my favorite blogs daily. (See my list on the sidebar.) As to my own participation, I got an initial enthusiasm for blogging a few months back but then it faded. This feeling comes and goes in relation to my enjoyment of others' blogs. I guess to be honest my own feelings are too dependent on the goal of being read by others immediately instead of just enjoying the writing process and getting used to its nuances. A successful blog in terms of visits and readership is, as one would expect, due to long term commitment, quality of writing, quality of analysis (if applicable), and information linkage.

Hugh Hewitt has a great book, "Blog", which describes not only how blogs are used but also their history, import, and future possibilities. It is a great read. Due to my background in Comparative Religion, I especially like how he ties in the Protestant Reformation with the revolution in electronic information dissemination we are witnessing today. Simply put, we should appreciate the momentous times we live in and the many possibilities available to us for sharing our lives and opinions. For example, I will press the Publish Post button below in a few minutes and Voila!, my post has the possibility of being seen by millions of people. (I didn't say 'probability', just to set the record straight.) What other time in human history has this possibility been even a dream, to say nothing of a reality?

So I state this now: I am going to work it so I post at least once a day, unless on the road. Hopefully, as I build up a body of writing I feel good about I will be able to build up some steam and have a dynamism started with readers. It might take quite awhile but it doesn't matter. The right time will come along if it is meant to be.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?